In a moment, we’re going to run through the signs of lying in a cheating husband.
Before I get into the three core areas to look for those signs — body language, verbal signs and overall behaviour — you should consider why someone might be lying in the first place.
And just because hubby is being deceitful, it doesn’t necessarily mean he’s cheated/cheating on you.
Hey there, Steve here and welcome to this week’s private eye post, covering the main signs of lying in a cheating husband.
So, Why Do People Lie?
People lie to avoid conflict.
Conflict comes in various forms…
It could be he wants to protect your feelings. He might be trying to avoid feeling embarrassed. Some people embellish the truth to make themselves look good, or appear cleverer, special or somehow better than they really are.
Of course, he may also want to hide something he did — whether that’s cheating or something different.
Signs of lying can be easily misinterpreted.
Think of how many times detectives have assumed someone is guilty of a crime, and then don’t quite follow standard procedure because they think they already know the outcome.
Here’s a shocking example:
It’s the same thing with a person’s behaviour. There can be many potential reasons someone will act in a particular way. And what you’re doing is “playing detective” by interpreting that behaviour.
To successfully interpret someone, it’s vital to be emotionally detached from the situation. That way you can consider lots of possible reasons behind a particular behaviour—something not very likely if you think your husband is cheating on you!
So, I encourage you to remain calm, listen and observe everything, and consider all possible reasons “why” he might have behaved in a particular manner before making any judgement. In fact, if you have suspicions about his fidelity, you’d be far better off hiring Elite Investigations to professionally investigate for you.
Lastly, remember one specific behaviour isn’t very telling. Clusters of behaviours are much more meaningful.
OK, let’s get into it…
Disclaimer: This information is for general educational purposes only and may not apply to all situations — everyone is unique after all. For help with an individual situation, please contact us —the first call is free, and we may just be able to put your mind at rest!
Body Language Signs
- Won’t touch you while talking to you
- Use of a barrier such as placing a chair or cushion in front of himself
- A sweaty brow in a cool environment
- Touching his chin, touching his nose, or rubbing his eyebrow
- Crossed arms and/or crossed legs
- Body language and facial expressions are a mismatch: e.g. saying “no”, but nodding his head
- He slouches while talking to you (making himself look smaller)
- Anxious and fidgety
- Unnatural arm and hand movements (or not moving them all when he does normally.)
- Lack of eye contact. Either staring straight past you or turning away while talking.
- Continues to deny accusations
- Is way too detailed — gives way more information than necessary.
- Inconsistent in what he’s saying
- Hesitant in the way he talks
- Strange vocal fluctuations, uses weird choice of words or sentence structure.
- Frequently stalls with words like “um” or “you know” — gives himself time to think
- Says things like “did not” instead of “didn’t”
- He’s extremely defensive
- He has an air of smugness
- He’s unnaturally calm
- Is acting in a way you don’t normally see him act
Follow us on Facebook for more signs of lying in a cheating husband and how to get help if you think you need to.
Until next week,